Does your home have water damage? If you think this is a minor issue, consider that water damage from a flood, plumbing leak, or fire response team can lead to structural problems and mold growth. This is why it’s important to detect and remediate water damage as quickly as possible. Watch for these signs that you need water damage restoration.
Check Outside Your Home
Rain is a common cause of water damage. Check outside for these possible signs:
- Poor soil grading: Does your home sit at the highest point on your property with the soil sloping away from the structure? If not, oversaturated soil probably presses against the foundation walls every time it rains, causing cracks to gradually form.
- Improper gutter maintenance: Clogged, missing, or leaky gutters can allow rainwater to flow down the side of the house and accumulate around the foundation.
- Cracked or missing shingles: Frequent roof inspections can reveal problems that could allow water to leak into the attic when it rains.
- Separated window and door frames: Significant damage could allow rainwater to seep in. Even a small separation can allow heat and humidity to enter the house and contribute to mold growth.
Detect Water Damage Inside Your Home
Signs of plumbing leaks and water intrusion are often visible on the interior. Here’s what to look for:
- Water stains: Yellowish-brown rings on ceilings and walls point to a plumbing or roof leak.
- Soft spots on the floor: Feel around the bathtub, shower, sink, and toilet for any signs of a rotting subfloor, including soft spots or sagging.
- Damaged flooring: Tile, laminate, hardwood, and other types of flooring can crack, split, or warp as water seeps in. Check the corners of the room and anywhere in your home that you don’t frequent as much.
- Damp cabinets: Open all the under-sink cabinets in your home and check for water stains, warped wood, or discoloration that could indicate a leaking pipe.
- Dripping noises: Do you hear the sound of water running behind the walls, even when all the faucets and plumbing appliances are turned off? Heed these mysterious noises.
- High humidity: Unexplained dampness or standing water could be a sign of an undetected leak.
- Musty odor: A lingering musty smell is a sign of mold growth, which needs a constant water supply to grow. If you can’t see the mold, it could be growing behind the wall.
- Respiratory issues: Along with your sense of smell, trust your allergy symptoms to help you detect mold growth. If you develop cold symptoms or experience headaches at home more than anywhere else, there could be water damage and corresponding mold growth.
If you notice any of these signs of water damage in your home, Pacific Flood Restoration can help you recover. We provide structural drying, mold removal, reconstruction services, and more to help you get things back to normal. Contact us today at (760) 815-3033 to schedule services in San Diego.