When an indoor flooding occurs, most people might not know what exactly should be done. Water can cause damage to the house property, valuable material and to you as well. It is vital that you know what steps to take when such a situation arises.
- Check for safety– The first thing you should do is check whether it is safe for you to be in the damaged area because when water comes in contact with electrical appliances and outlets, the chances of a fatal electrocution is possible. So you must ensure that all the electrical appliances are off so that you can find a safe area in the house and stay put until you get further help.
- Try to allocate the source of the water inflow– water that comes from an overflowing sink, bathtub, broken water supply line or a fixture shut-off valve is a preferred source should water damage occur, since it poses minimal risk of contamination or respiratory danger. “Gray” water. It is not drinkable, but also not full of sewage. “Black” water is highly contaminated with bacteria or chemicals harmful to touch, consume or inhale. Any type of sewer back up must be removed by a professional with proper immunizations and personal protective equipment.
- Try and stop the leakage from the respective source- If you were successful at assessing the source of water inflow, you should try and stop it so as to avoid further flooding. Once you have stopped the inflow from the source you can sit back and hire the services of a water restoration company.
- Take swift action to prevent further damage to household items and materials- If certain furnishings are ruined because of the water, try and relocate them to a separate part of the house where there is lesser damage since furnishings made from wood composite will swell quickly when exposed to water, and are impossible to dry to their original look and strength.
- Inspect the walls– Remove wall coverings to inspect if water has been trapped behind these items. If not removed in time it can foster mold growth.Do not disturb the mold, as this releases spores into the air. Leave the drywall in place if no mold is present, it may be salvageable.
- Pay attention to the flooring– The next step is to address the flooring. carpet and cushion can be cleaned and salvaged. Carpet cushion damaged by gray water needs to be disposed of. Flooring damaged by black water needs to be disposed of immediately and the floor treated with an antimicrobial chemical. This is taken care of by the experts. Drying a water damaged building needs training and tools that most individuals rarely entail. Contacting a restoration company would be the best way to go about it!
Immediate 24 Hour Response
Certified & Insured Technicians
Prompt Professional Service
Need Help Now?
Fill out our contact form and one of your representatives will be in touch with you shortly. If this is an emergency, please call our office number.