Skip to Content
chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up chevron-right chevron-left arrow-back star phone quote checkbox-checked search wrench info shield play connection mobile coin-dollar spoon-knife ticket pushpin location gift fire feed bubbles home heart calendar price-tag credit-card clock envelop facebook instagram twitter youtube pinterest yelp google reddit linkedin envelope bbb pinterest homeadvisor angies

A candle’s soft glow and soothing fragrance can add a homey touch to any room. Though they may seem small and harmless, candles can become a serious fire hazard if left unattended or mishandled. To avoid a devastating house fire, keep these 10 safety guidelines in mind every time you light a candle.

  • Select safe candles: Look for high-quality wax and natural wicks made of cotton or paper. Avoid candles with metal-core wicks, which may contain harmful lead that contaminates the air while burning.
  • Use a recommended candleholder: Only use holders specifically designed for candle use. They should be sturdy, heat-resistant, and large enough to contain any drips or melted wax.
  • Place candles properly: Never set a lit candle near flammable items like paper, curtains, or furniture. Keep your candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can catch fire.
  • Maintain a safe distance between candles: If you light multiple candles at once, keep at least three inches between them to prevent heat buildup and keep the candles from melting one another.
  • Stay alert: Never leave a burning candle unattended, and extinguish the flame before going to bed.
  • Perform proper candle maintenance: Trim the wick to one-fourth inch before each use to prevent high flames or flickering, which can lead to soot or rapid burning. Monitor the burn time, too. Most candles shouldn’t remain lit for more than four hours at a time.
  • Extinguish candles safely: The best option is to extinguish your candles with a snuffer or by placing the lid on the candle jar. If a snuffer or lid isn’t available, blow out the flame gently. Never extinguish a candle with water.
  • Dispose of used candles properly: When a candle burns down to two inches from its holder or one-half inch from the bottom of the jar, it’s time to say goodbye. Let the candle cool completely after its final burn, wet the wick, and throw it away.
  • Educate and inform: Ensure everyone in your household, especially children, understand the dangers of candles and the importance of fire safety. Store lighters and matches out of reach and emphasize the need for adult supervision when lighting candles.
  • Consider candle alternatives: For a no-risk option, set out potpourri and turn on a battery-operated flameless candle. This mimics the ambiance and aroma of a scented candle without the fire risk.

These fire safety guidelines aren’t just sensible; they can even save lives. In the unfortunate event of fire damage in your San Diego home, turn to Pacific Flood Restoration. Our courteous, ethical, and on-time services make the restoration process as seamless as possible. We pride ourselves on our 24-hour, on-call emergency services and can handle large projects while preserving that owner-operated feel. Our clients constantly praise our high degree of customer care, professionalism, and transparency.

With Pacific Flood Restoration, there are no surprises—just a team committed to restoring your peace of mind. Call us at 760-815-3033 or contact us online to request your fire damage restoration consultation today.

Contact Our Team Today to Get Started With Your Restoration Consultation