Mold can go undetected in your carpet for a long time. Even a small moisture source can initiate mold growth in the carpets leading to unpleasant odors, reduced air quality, and discoloration if left unchecked. Mold spores can grow in the carpet under 24-48 hours with just some moisture and cause hidden damage. Mold exposure can cause a lot of problems like eye, nose and throat irritation. Even healthy individuals can then trigger asthma, allergy and hay fever symptoms.
Look out for these signs to detect mold growth beneath your carpet:
- Unpleasant smell: If you discover an off-putting musty, sour odor in your house, and don’t find any mold growth in your fixtures, walls and furniture. You should start checking the carpet and padding underneath in the area.
- Inspect for visual damage: Watch for white, black, or greenish discoloration on your carpet. You can use a lamp to detect variation in the carpet appearance accurately.
Steps to remove mold from carpet:
Small areas of mold affected carpets should be cleaned after wearing appropriate protective gear with google and breathing mask before mold removal attempt.
- Fix the moisture source and ventilate the area to improve the airflow in the room.
- Baking soda and white vinegar are said to be highly effective in absorbing odors and moisture from the carpet. Remove the baking soda with the use of vacuum and blow-dry vinegar. Replace the padding of the carpet to prevent future reoccurrences. Use a HEPA to vacuum and sanitize your carpet deeply. Don’t mix different cleaning products.
- Use an effective anti-mold product to create a protective barrier on the carpet to prevent mold growth.
- Replace affected carpet: If you have a mold-infested carpet and padding or mold has grown into the baseboards or walls, it is necessary to call a mold remediation company to professionally remove mold without affecting the air quality of your environment.
Steps to prevent mold damage:
- Sanitise the affected walls, carpets and furniture with anti-mold disinfectants. Eliminate water leaks and excess moisture from the air. Ventilate the house and vacuum the house to remove mold spore and dust particles. Use dehumidifiers and large fans to speed up the drying of carpets.
- Use UVC lights to eliminate mold spore growth and slow down the formation of mold on carpets.
If you do happen to suspect water damage/mold in your home, Pacific Flood Restoration is available 24/7 at pacificflood.com or (760) 815-3033. Give us a call today to schedule a free inspection!
Immediate 24 Hour Response
Certified & Insured Technicians
Prompt Professional Service
Need Help Now?
Fill out our contact form and one of your representatives will be in touch with you shortly. If this is an emergency, please call our office number.